Edinburgh Castle in Scotland was built on Castle Rock, which has been occupied since at least 900 BC.
The Celtic Votadini Tribe lived there and had close ties to the Romans during their occupation, until 406 AD. The Votadini became known as the Gododdin around 600 AD, which is when Castle Rock first appeared on record. The King of the Gododdin, Mynnyddog Mwynfawr, named his fortress: “Din Eidyn”. After the Angles defeated King Mynnyddog and overran the fortress in 638, it was renamed Edinburgh, and has kept that name ever since.
The meaning of the name means “Fortress or Castle on the Rock”, and this it was, being the seat of Scottish Kings for almost 1000 years. The honours of Scotland (The Crown, Sceptre and Sword of State) are housed today, along with the Stone of Scone, in the Crown room in Edinburgh Castle. And thus "Din Eidyn" became "Dunedin".
A town named “Dunedin” in New Zealand, a town named “Dunedin” in Florida, USA and our own special “Castle on the Rock” here in Penzance, all share the name “The Dunedin”.
Cornwall TR18 4LZ
When calling from outside the UK, omit the leading '0' and replace by '+44'